. Sub Menu

Year 7 @ Fraser Youens

Boarding is a unique and rewarding experience and to help introduce this concept all Year 7 boarders are weekly boarders (they go home either on a Friday or Saturday and return to boarding on a Sunday evening). The opportunity to full board (if they wish) only comes as they move further up the school. Year 7 boarders are only ever roomed with fellow Year 7 boarders. Each Year 7 boarder will have a buddy from Year 8 who will help him settle in to life in FYH and a further buddy from the 6th form. The idea is that they will quickly get to know fellow boarders in the house both old and young and this helps then with a smooth integration into the house. All boarders have an individual tutor who is a member of staff at RGS and works within the boarding environment, Boarding tutors help support students regularly chatting to individual boarders and offering support in any way necessary.

Year 7 boarders will be visited by boarding staff in Year 6 at their preparatory  or primary school to help the transition process. This also helps us place Year 7 boarders in dorms with students who may have similar interests. Before the students start at RGS they will have had an Induction evening and an induction day in July followed by a final induction day just for Year 7 prior to the start of term in early September.

Year 7 Weekly boarders have fully supervised prep (homework) every evening with a Housemaster present to ensure work can be supported and checked. Junior Activities for Years 7&8 take place every afternoon from 5.15 until 6.00pm. These activities are very much fun based and boarders get a genuine say in the activities that they would like to participate in. Most popular activities tend to be activities such as Dodgeball and six a side Football.

Fraser Youens House is a friendly family boarding house and we are hugely keen that new members of the house enjoy the atmosphere and opportunities that exist. There is a junior common room just for Year 7 and Year 8 boarders and this is a popular place for boarders to ‘chill out’ along with the much used table tennis table in the foyer. Half termly House activities involve all of the boarders and many Year 7 students star in the House Obstacle course

The feedback we receive from both Year 7 boarders and their parents is exceptionally positive and if you would like to speak to a current parent of a boarder this can be arranged.

Close