. Sub Menu

The best of what's on at RGS

Musical Showcase

My Fair Lady - Wednesday 22 March - Saturday 25 March

Many of you will already be aware that this year’s major dramatic production is the classic show by Lerner & Loewe, My Fair Lady. Based on the 1913 stage play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw, the drama focuses on a poor Cockney flower-seller named Eliza Doolittle who overhears an arrogant phonetics professor, Henry Higgins, as he casually wagers that he could teach her to speak “proper” English, thereby making her presentable in the high society of Edwardian London. It was first produced on Broadway in 1956, setting a record for the longest run of any show on Broadway at the time. The production came to the West End in 1958, starring Rex Harrison and Julie Andrews in their Broadway roles, and the film came out in 1964, with Audrey Hepburn somewhat controversially replacing Julie Andrews as Eliza - as Miss Hepburn’s singing voice was dubbed by the ubiquitous Marni Dixon.

We have no such concerns, with Scarlet Halton as Miss Doolittle, James Guild as Professor Higgins and James McDonald as Colonel Pickering. Our strong cast has been assembled from RGS along with the young women from Wycombe High, Beaconsfield High, Pipers Corner and Furze Platt Schools, and they have been melded together over a rehearsal period of five months by the strong directorial team of professional actors and singers that brought you Les Miserables (2013) and Carousel (2015). As usual, our orchestra consists of some of the best student musicians in our local schools, the student technical team at RGS is one of the most experienced in the area, and a huge effort has gone into securing and creating the set and the costumes for this epic.   Described on many occasions as ‘the perfect musical’, I am sure that the show will give you a night to remember! DON’T MISS IT!!

The production is running for four nights in the Queen’s Hall, Wednesday 22 March - Saturday 25 March, with curtain up at 7.30pm.  The show will end at approximately 10.20pm. Tickets will be £15 (£9.00 for full-time students under 22) on Wednesday and Thursday, and £17 and £10 respectively on Friday and Saturday. There will also be small discounts for families (2 + 2).

We anticipate that demand will be huge, so we encourage you to save the date, so that you are ready for the ticket office going live after half term. Watch this space!!!

Close