RGS has a fine tradition and reputation for music-making. The Friends support the outstanding work of the Music Department by raising money for instruments and activities and bringing professional musicians into the school to allow the boys to experience top class performances.
We hope that all parents who have a connection with the musical life of the School will join the Friends of Music.
Friends of Music Presentation
The presentation is currently under construction - please check back soon!
What do we do?
- Raise funds for the Music Department to purchase and maintain instruments.
- Fund Concerts and Masterclasses (Recent events are the Maggini string quartet, trumpeter Crispian Steele-Perkins, the hugely successful Belshazzar's Feast (as part of the 450th anniversary celebrations) and an evening with international opera singer Jonathan Veira).
- Organise social events with a musical flavour.
- Provide refreshments at School concerts – probably the Music Society’s most prominent role! Assistance is always welcome
Music Department Spending
As well as concerts the Friends of Music have also raised funds towards musical instruments and equipment for the school.
In 2013-14 the Friends funded a new upright piano, new music stands, a large number of guitars, 5 trumpets, 2 Baritones, a flute and a workshop with the internationally renowned Swingle Singers.
Then in 2014-15 the funding continued with a further upright piano, a Music Department notice board, a substantial contribution towards the Queens Hall curtains, 5 keyboards, a glockenspiel, a clarinet, a euphonium, more guitars and several pieces of percussion.
Who can join?
- Open to all – parents of music students are particularly encouraged to join
- Subscription £25 per year per family (or whatever other subscription you may feel you wish to donate).
We can collect subscriptions by Standing Order mandate and you can gift aid your donation. Please download the forms below or write a cheque made payable to the ‘RGS' and send it to the Resources Centre in an envelope marked for the attention of The Treasurer, RGS Friends of Music and showing your son's name and form.
Contacting Friends of Music
You can contact Friends of Music via e-mail
Friends of Music Donation Forms
Form for making a Single Gift: click here
Form for making a Standing Order regular donation: click here
How can you help?
You can help the Friends of Music by:
- Serving drinks at concerts
- Joining the committee – new members always welcome.
- Offering advice/ideas on fund-raising
- Supporting social events
- Attending the AGM
For a list of committee members click here
Financial Statement for 2014-15
For a copy of the 2014-15 accounts please click here.